Please read the entire product description.
Features the outside appearance and internal structure components to complete your project. Fit and finish is similar to an original vintage Graflex 3-Cell Flash. Includes some minor modern upgrades for ease in assembly and disassembly. Accepts original vintage, The Graflex Shop and most aftermarket parts and accessories. Use this Graflex Replica for your own light and sound project, or update parts on an original vintage flash or replica. This item is born and built by The Graflex Shop. It is not a resell of an existing replica. For all general intents and purposes, dimensions of this replica is identical to an original Graflex flash, within reasonable tolerances. Every piece of this replica is user serviceable where all parts can be easily removed and re-attached with simple tools. Each replica is hand manufactured, hand inspected and hand packaged using processes similar to the vintage processes used between 1920 and 1940.
Please note that just like a vintage and due to the nature of how these are manufactured, this replica includes minor imperfections. This is due to the nature of the design, the nature of how the product is manufactured, and the possibility of having a minor manufacturing or finish defect. Our replica imperfections are very similar to what can be found on an original vintage Graflex flash. Small blemishes and imperfections are part of the authenticity of how this Graflex Flash Replica is made. Despite any small blemish, most customers feel that the quality of this replica exceeds the fit and finish of an original Graflex 3-Cell Flash. Most customers feel that the quality of this replica exceeds any other replica to date.
Includes the following
- Replica Top Half Assembly: top half tube, vintage bump style bunny ear assembly, functional dull slide switch assembly, dull beer tab assembly, slotted front mounting screw, plated internal contacts and the contact bulb pin + spring
- Replica Functional Pushdown Red Button
- Replica Pins (4) - Long Style (Hollow or Vintage Internals) or Short (Deluxe Socket Internals)
- Replica Brass Tab Contacts (2) - Long (Hollow or Vintage Internals) or Short (Deluxe Socket Internals)
- Replica Glass Eye - Lens + Spring version (Hollow or Vintage Internals) or Thumbscrew (Deluxe Socket Internals)
- Replica Clamp Assembly STAMPED with G R A F L E X on the band
- Replica 3-Cell Bottom Half STAMPED with the GRAFLEX logo and additional text (varies per Stamping selection)
- Replica vintage style display box with custom cut foam and GRAFLEX branding
- Internals Option: Keep it hollow/empty, or choose to include an Internal Electrical Socket + Battery Spring and Pilot Bulb as an un-assembled camera flash, or choose to include a 1 inch Deluxe Blade Adapter
- Style (all are STAMPED): Folmer No Patent (Folmer Glass Eye and Folmer Smooth Pins), Folmer with Patent (Folmer Glass Eye and Folmer Smooth Pins), or Graflex Inc with Patent (Standard Glass Eye and Regular Pins)
- Grade: The Graflex Shop inspects each replica by hand. Some defects are normal (see note above). Other defects are graded, whereby a Grade A has smaller or less defects than a Grade B. Each grade is explained in the description below. Since we inspect these by hand, note that there are times we may miss something. Of course if we make a mistake, we are always willing to work it out with the customer. As previous customers know, TGS is very picky about sorting through defects and blemishes that benefit the customer. NOTE that for a blemish to be defined as a defect or blemish, it must be on an outward visible portion of a fully ASSEMBLED Graflex replica. Blemishes that are covered up by a clamp, washer or any item attached and covering the defect on the fully assembled Graflex replica will not be considered a blemish or defect. This is commonly understandable since our replicas are shipped unassembled.
- GRADE A: This grade is considered a replica with almost no surface blemishes or blemishes smaller than 1/16th of an inch. We consider a grade A replica worthy of being a 'hero' demonstration of a prop replica. Please see the note above under the 'Grade' option as this note applies to all grades.
- GRADE B: This grade is considered a replica with normal surface defects that are still fairly minimal under the size of 1/4 of an inch. We and 99% of our customer base have an opinion that this product is a 'blemish free' product, and consider the quality to be on par with an unused vintage Graflex 3 Cell. Please see the note above under the Grade option as this note applies to all grades.
- GRADE C: This grade is considered a replica with surface blemishes and defects greater than 1/2 of an inch. These replicas represent a quality that is equal to most vintage Graflex 3 Cells that still exist today. Please see the note above under the Grade option as this note applies to all grades.
- 2.0 2017: Vintage accurate clamp bar folds and lever rivet placement
- 2.0 2017: Vintage accurate pressed clamp lines and letter stamping
- 2.0 2017: Vintage accurate pressed bottom tube stamping (size, font and depth)
- 2.0 2017: Vintage accurate finish, including the inside plating of the top area
- 2.1: July 2019 - Updated Button Profile to better match a vintage
- 2.1: July 2019 - Updated Internal Plastic to better match a vintage with deeper socket wells and better fitment
- 2.1: July 2019 - Updated Folmer Replica Eye to function better, with better vintage-like knurling
- 2.2: NEW May 2021 - Includes Bulb Contact + Spring (for hollow and flash replica assemblies)
- 2.2: NEW May 2021 - Red Button plating and profile better matches a vintage non-folmer style button
- 2.2: NEW May 2021 - Clamp lever shape and finish better matches a vintage
- 2.2: NEW May 2021 - New Bottom Tube stamping options added: Folmer w/ Patent, Graflex Inc w/ Patent or Folmer No Patent
Next Stock Availability Schedule: ETA Late Summer 2021
Vintage Graflex Flashes vary greatly in their dimensions from part to part, and our replica will slightly vary from part to part. The Graflex Shop is committed to building our replica within reasonable tolerances of an original. Exceptions include the default product not including the internal electrical assembly, replacing some rivets with screws, a modern redesign of the slide switch and operation, and also other remaining items that may no longer be possible to manufacture the same way. Small imperfections WILL be present, just like they are on an original vintage.
Our TGS Graflex Replica includes purposeful tells to distinguish it from a 1920s - 1940s vintage:
- There are no internals included with the default replica product (most vintages include an internal electrical assembly, pilot bulb and battery spring)
- Top half has one of the 'bunny ear' stationary tabs threaded (a vintage is not threaded, vintage 'bunny ears' are permanently riveted to the top half)
- Top half has the 'beer tab' hole threaded (a vintage is not threaded, vintage 'beer tab' is permanently riveted)
- Slide switch design and assembly is unique to our replica using a pin and e-clip (vintage is permanently riveted)
- Bottom tube has the text 'TGS' engraved on the inside of the end cap (a vintage does not include this)
- Brass pins arrive in new raw form (vintages today contain oxidized brass pins with patina)
- Clamp lettering is ever so slightly unique to our replica and does not have the 'GRAFLEX' letters filled in with black paint (some vintages have this feature)
Product may slightly differ to the pictures as we continue to improve and push our replica more accurate every day!
Assembly instructions can be found here: TGS Assembly Instructions
Graflex Replica Flash (Gen2)
- Brand: The Graflex Shop
- Product Code: Graflex
- Availability: Out Of Stock